Monday 15 December 2014

6. VISUAL PRESENTATIONAL TOOLS. ( PART 1 ) POWERPOINT

                       POWERPOINT  or  PREZI




This blog will be written in two parts. Part one will look at PowerPoint. Part two will look at Prezi.


It may seem like a simple accomplishment, and nothing to jump up and down about, but to me, mastering PowerPoint and giving my very first presentation with it, was a real milestone on my technological journey.  I was convinced that it was so complicated, that I would never understand it in a million years. I was terrified too, of the prospect of 'having' to learn it - but guess what.. it was easy! I'm starting to realise that my fear of technology is more to do with my attitude and preconceptions; my age and my background, and fear of the unknown, rather than my ability to learn new things. I must reiterate once again: Technology isn't hard; change is hard.

So imagine how delighted, (and surprised) I am with myself, that I should now be sitting here writing a blog discussing the advantages and disadvantages of using either Prezi or PowerPoint! (Ooooo err! Get ME!)


Talking to my students, they tell me that PowerPoint is overused in the classroom ( I agree), and (dare I say?), "BORING" (their words, not mine - but I also agree). When "Oh no, not another PowerPoint to sit through", becomes a common reaction, then it's time to question whether it is being effective. This surely means that teachers are not using it creatively enough and not for the right reasons. A presentational tool should be used for just that, presenting information...but not as a bandage or a lazy alternative to providing real stimulus for learning. I must admit, that nearly all PowerPoint presentations I have ever had to sit through (I'm sure that some were effective, I just can't remember which ones) have been dull and pretty uninspiring.None have been memorable. Also, there are far too many of them. I can't think of many classes or meetings I've been to, when the PowerPoint wasn't used. It's relentless.

In a teaching and learning environment, there is a danger of simply using PowerPoint as a prop; a prompt as to what will come next. Very helpful for the teacher, but not for the student if it has been poorly designed or put together. It is teacher centred though, as it relies utterly on the teacher's input. PowerPoint is a visual stimulus; it demands creativity, and in it's defence, it does allow for that creativity to take place.Unless teachers are creative with that medium, with the way they deliver information, then the PowerPoint is boring, ineffective and completely pointless. That's not because it's a bad tool, it's because of ineffectual and lazy teaching. 




Garr Reynolds writes an interesting blog (Presentation Zen) on presentational design. In this one he responds to an article published by The Sydney Morning Herald, entitled, Is It Time To Ditch PowerPoint? The article highlights findings by researchers from the University of New South Wales, in particular, John Sweller, who developed The Cognitive Load Theory in the 80's.

Check it out:




In his blog, Garr assumes that what Dr Sweller means is, that the way PowerPoint is used should be ditched, not the tool itself.


Richard Mayer, author of Multimedia Learning makes a good point. He says,

" I do not think it makes sense to refer to PowerPoint as a method. Instead... PowerPoint is a medium that can be used effectively - that is, with effective design methods - or, ineffective design methods." 


Despite it's possible misuse and overuse, PowerPoint is the standard 'go to' software though - in the workplace, and more specifically, in the classroom. There are over 500 million users and it holds 95% of the presentation software market. Reason: It's an easy way to tell a linear story, (a story that starts at point A, progresses through events which build toward a climax, finally reaching point B).

POWERPOINT ADVANTAGES


1. Very user friendly - technically, PowerPoint is simple to use.

2. Control - PowerPoint provides seemingly endless possibilities when it comes to slide design. You can choose from a multitude of colours, fonts, graphics and backgrounds.

3. Builds, transmissions and animations - you can use these visual enhancements to add to the explanatory power of the presentation and also enhance your visuals.

4. Hyperlinks - allows you to click on a link and be taken directly to the link's location on the web, or somewhere else in the presentation.

5. Syncronised with SlideShare - lets you upload your presentation to the web, so anyone can view it online.

6. Can print handouts of the slides - allows people to follow along without having to focus on writing notes during the presentation.

7. Charts and Tables - helps you present various types of data.


POWERPOINT DISADVANTAGES



1. Linear format - PowerPoint follows a script, (linear) format, that is not easily adaptable to an audience when needed. Getting to a specific slide once the presentation has begun, can sometimes be problematic and can cause the whole presentation to become confused.

2. Large file size - PowerPoint can create really large files, especially when images, audio, and video are added. This can make emailing a pain.


Reference: 

Younie,S and Leask,M. Teaching With Technologies (2013) Oxford University Press

Garr Reynolds: Presentation Zen.

No comments:

Post a Comment